I realized the other day that I haven't been writing because I always want it to be perfect. You know, a little piece of literature. Which is silly, because that isn't why we started this blog. We started it so you could have some kind of window into the little things that make up our lives.
NOTICE: I have reformed.
And in the spirit of said reformation...
We are now using a Brita water pitcher. I've really been fine with the tap water since moving here, though it isn't anything as good as Memphis water, but since coming back from being there over New Years it started bothering me. Plus something is wrong with our little water jug drinking system thing at work so I've had to drink the tap water there too. And I can't make a good jug of sweet tea because of the tap water. So we decided to do something about it. We tried an on the faucet system but the threads are all stripped on our poor old faucet so we went with the pitcher. And are very happy with it. Tasty water, nice and cold.
(Incidentally, buying the pitcher was kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears - the first one was too small, the second one was too big, but the third one was juuust right.)
I would also like to mention that I love college basketball and I LOVE THE WILDCATS!!! GO BIG BLUE!!! To borrow the words of Nacho Libre... "I love the Wildcats - they are my heart." Thanks to ESPN 360 I've gotten to see more of their games this year than usual.
We have been buying children's books. Yesterday we received the following in the mail:
Scrambled Eggs Super
I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew (I love this book because of you, Mama)
Curious George Flies a Kite
Curious George Goes to the Hospital
Harry the Dirty Dog Treasury
Petunia
to add to others recently purchased:
Harry MacLary from Donaldson's Dairy
The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
Curious George Flies a Kite
Scuffy the Tugboat
The Little Red Caboose
Goodnight Moon
Are You My Mother?
Ten Apples Up On Top
The Pokey Little Puppy
Tootle
(Mama I'm enjoying the look I imagine on your face. I'd forgotten about some of these til I started digging around on shelves at Half Price.) When Kathryn Brown was here visiting we had a storytime in which I entertained them with heartfelt readings of Scuffy the Tugboat, Are You My Mother, The Little Red Caboose, and Tootle. A good time was had by all, while my heart glowed with the happy warmth of nostalgia.
Thanks, mum, for such great books. They truly are like old friends now.
I have been compiling a list of books from my childhood that I want to get for the girls. Did you ever read Freddy the Pig books?
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Freddy the Pig books. Actually I own 10 or 12 of them.
ReplyDeletebut 11 is out of the question.
ReplyDeleteAh, Petunia.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm puzzled. I'm familiar with Scuffy the Tugboat, Are you My Mother, and Tootle, but I don't remember us having them...
And I remember reading you The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, but I'm surprised you remember it. Again, I don't think we owned a copy. But then, I took you to the library a lot more than everyone else.
It's funny. I just quipped our favorite line from Ten Apples in science class the other day. "They will get them if we let them. Come! We cannot let them get them!"
...Scrambled Eggs Super???...
Hey Dan, I found a book at the thrift store by Roger Duvoisin (of Petunia fame) a few years ago (in time for Davis to enjoy it) that was new to me. It's called Donkey-Donkey, and it's priceless. Kind of a Duvoisinesque rendition of the Little Pine Tree. Donkey-Donkey wishes his ears were not long donkey ears, and tries holding them like a succession of the other farm animals' ears, (forward, out to the side, straight back) with disastrous results. His Frenchness comes through more in this one. I'll show it to you next time you're home.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, Davis is reading Cloverfield Farm Stories and absolutely loves it. Perfect timing for him. I hit it with you, too, but missed it with the other boys. Actually, I think his learning is going to be a lot like yours.
He cracks us up all the time. Today I was talking about something ...on the phone maybe... anyway, whatever the object or animal was, Davis asked me (with a hard g) "what gender is that? Male or female?" Of course we have to be surreptitiously cracked up, although he and I had a good laugh over that one.
I think we had Scuffy and Tootle, but we didn't have Are You My Mother. Actually I remember it from the Ripley church waaaay back when, they had it in their little collection of children's books.
ReplyDeleteI told Davis he would like Cloverfield Farm. I'm glad I was right. I mostly remember Rex the dog.