I just turned in the second set of five poems for Creative
Writing. I have basically done nothing but write for thelast three days, which has actually been really great.
Here is what my work area looked like by the time I was
done last night. I thought it was hilarious/pathetic. I think
I've eaten every meal but one sitting right there. But I got
all five done to my satisfaction, and now I'm posting them for y'all .
Explanatory note:
I didn't post the fifth poem, "Song," because I posted it a while back, and I've only made a couple of revisions to it.
Our requirments this time were to turn in a ballad, a villanelle, a found poem, and two of a form of our choice. A villanelle is a form where you have two lines that repeat in a set pattern. In some modern villanelles, the two lines may have some variation, while basically saying the same thing. This is what I did in "In the DPS Waiting Room," my villanelle.
The technical definition of a ballad is that it's a longer poem that tells a story in four-line stanzas with a specific metrical and rhyme pattern. The first few stanzas of "Attempted Ballad"conform to this pattern, but the rest creates variations on the pattern. You'll understand why when you read it.
A found poem is a poem created from a non-poetic text. In other words, you take a piece of writing that was not meant to be poetry, and you recreate it as poetry. I did mine from an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary.

i love the giant pieces of paper! very chopin going crazy. i miss you!!!!! you need to see my hair btw... i'm just gonna let you be suspenseful now.
ReplyDeleteI love giant newsprint pads. They make you feel daring and experimental and productive. All that lovely space. I've discovered lately what a boon they are to writing poetry. My latest greatest strategy is to compose the poem down the left side of the page, referring to the notes and ideas and experimentation running down the right side. It works beautifully.
ReplyDeletei had a few sheets of them left over from a service group "meeting" ;) project, and i used them during the day to doodle and write down things that were running through my head and quotes and things... unfortunately jeeves thought said sheets would be better suited to a life as a chewy and deliscious midnight snack for him.
ReplyDeleteand by the way, the word verification is "winglyk" and its written in very a swoopy red font.
That photo is a poem in itself. I can just feel the hours ticking away in that tiny triangle of carpet, the tea loosing steam while waves of syllables jam and unjam under your scritching pencil.
ReplyDeleteAmazing.
I miss you and all your scraps of paper and Blue Willow strewn about.