Thursday, January 21, 2010

hi ho hi ho

Alright. I need to focus. (So you ask, why am I blogging? Good question.)

See, my days have a very different rhythm than ever before this semester, because I have no morning classes and probably won't have to go to school at all most Thursdays (which, in case you hadn't noticed, is today, and as per the above I am home all day). So whereas before I've done school in the morning and early afternoon and then had late afternoon to do housework and errands and such, now I have to reverse it and do housework in the morning. It's really dumb how hard a time I'm having of making the switch. I catch myself wandering around the house not getting anything done sometimes because it feels like I should be at school.

So. As I said. Time to focus. Which for me means a List.

Which brings me, at long last, to the point of this epistle. My head, I know, is a silly place, but I wanted to know if anyone else here (and I know that there are many inveterate list-makers on both sides of the family) shares this particular quirk: I have to make my lists in very strong black ink or I don't follow through. It's as if a list in pencil, or in a skritchy pen that's not writing smoothly, or (horrors!) colored ink just doesn't have as much authority. It's more like a suggestion-- "ahem, ah, miss? yes, you. well, I was just. . . yes, just going to suggest that if you, well, if you happen to find the time, you might-- and i'm not saying you absolutely have to, but you might consider cleaning out the refrigerator. . . but don't let me order you around."

For today's list I'm bringing in the Pilot V-5's. There's a pen that means what it says. I think a To-Do List written by a Pilot V-5 ought to be extremely convincing. The difference between being told to do something by Jimmy Stewart and being told to do it by Gary Cooper, if you see what I mean. You probably love Jimmy more, and will probably get around to doing the thing just to please him, but Gary makes you feel it Must Be Done.

So as I was saying-- does anyone else feel this way?

(probably not. I'm probably just being a silly.)

(ok. back to work.)

2 comments:

  1. Today I wrote a list in red just to see and you are right. It's weak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be one of my favorite blog posts of all the the thousands I've read.

    I dunno why. It just is.

    ReplyDelete