Monday, March 29, 2010

compendium

I sat with Dan last night during the Duke-Baylor game, doing homework (actually read an entire Faulkner novel from 3:00 to 10:00-- I heart my attention span), and noticed that Baylor has got some of Richard Scary's Best Names Ever on their team. I call your attention to the following gems:

Quincy Acy
LaceDarius Dunn
Tweety Carter

I didn't have time to make a bracket this year, but I was planning to base my predictions on which team had more Exemplary Names. Had I done so, this right here might just have taken Baylor to the top.

Sometimes I love being a writer. Today I went to Cafe Brazil after school to have a mocha and get some writing done, and an overheard speech pattern of the woman at the table behind me triggered a whole set of new ideas and three pages of notes for my next short story. Moments like that are what keep me going.

Got 14 packages of pasta for 3.50 last week. Oh yeah.

Currently Listening: to one of Pottery Barn's ever-beloved jazz compilations. It's just right with the weather and my window down. Plus it's Elwood's favorite kind of music, and puts him in a peppy mood.

"Maybe you got a lot to learn
Don't waste another day!
Maybe you got to lose it all
Before you find your way.
Take a chance, play your part,
Make romance, though it may break your heart. . ."

Recently decided that I kind of love the name Nolan. It's so cool, but in an old-man-cool way, not an "aahh!!-hugh-jackman-named-his-kid-that!!!" way.

2 comments:

  1. Not to mention the name of the Rangers best pitcher ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nolan is venerable manly man name in sort of the same vein as Loyal, the old name that has me charmed of late.

    Would be lovely to have a wise and colorful old uncle named Loyal, now wouldn't it? Uncle Loyal. I think his full name is Loyal Emmaus Rushing IV. He wears a lot of faded plaids. Tools around in his aqua pickup with a pair of old corgis. Smokes his great-grandpa Loyal's long-stemmed pipe from Ireland.

    Plays fiddle.

    Has a mule named Upharsin.

    ReplyDelete