I've developed something of a Pablo Neruda obsession recently and am reading through the mammoth sized (1000+ pages) volume "Poetry of Pablo Neruda." I found a poem the other day that resonated, so deeply, with our (mine and Dan's) vision of who we are, and wanted to share the two most beautiful stanzas (the second of which is written on our chalkboard wall)--
"Two happy lovers make one bread,
a single moon drop in the grass.
Walking, they cast two shadows that flow together;
waking, they leave one sun empty in their bed.
Of all the possible truths, they chose the day;
they held it, not with ropes but with an aroma.
They did not shred the peace; they did not shatter words;
their happiness is a transparent tower."
I love this.
ReplyDeleteand these are translated from Spanish, right?
yes, neruda wrote only in spanish, if i remember correctly-- he was chilean.
ReplyDeletethere are actually two more stanzas, but I didn't include them because they aren't nearly as good-- a combination of mediocre translation and lack of energy in the original, i'm guessing.
Where is your chalkboard wall? I don't remember it.
ReplyDeletewe created it since the last time you were here-- it's in the hallway, the wall right outside the bathroom door. we love it!
ReplyDelete