Thursday, October 2, 2008

I love Southwest Airlines (and my wife)

Monday one of the managers at work (actually the guy who did our classroom training, a fellow by the name of Gabriel Peterson, Mormon and top notch guy) had a big group outing planned to play Whirlyball. I'd never heard of it either, but it's hilarious fun. Kind of a combination of bumper cars, lacrosse, and basketball. Read more about it and see a video here.

Unfortunately, I and many others had to work during the event. To which, as good sports and professionals,  we contentedly resigned ourselves. But, as it was slow, quiet, and boring, our supervisor asked a bunch of us if we wanted to go. And, as we are also fun loving and eager to please, we said yes. So basically I got paid to play Whirlyball and eat pizza for 3 hours during my shift. Not bad, huh.

Tuesday night when I came home from work Caitlin had been working hard on school all day, so we decided to cook a snack and watch a movie, e'en though it was rather late. Due to the temporarily depleted nature of our foodstuffs stores we were hard pressed to find a recipe we could manage, but finally hit on a sort of homemade energy bar, whose ingredients included various nuts, oatmeal, brown sugar, dried fruit, butter, and assorted spices and I don't remember what else. We watched the first Harry Potter movie and halfway through enjoyed the fruits of our culinary labor, which was exceedingly rich and just about made us both sick from eating too much of it, but most tasty. I think we'll do it again, but cut down on the sugar next time.

I've discovered that one of the local tv stations plays old tv shows all day long, every day. Stuff like Bonanza, Little House on the Prairie, Hawaii 5-O, and more. I love it. Today I plan to watch Dragnet and Perry Mason (and find out what comes on after Perry Mason) while I write more thank you notes. (Is it really bad that we're not all done with that yet? I have a feeling it is.)

The air has changed to fall here, for good I think. We slept with the window cracked last night, and I'm keeping the patio door open today. It feels wonderful.

I love my wife for getting so excited about the air and light changing to fall on the first day of October, and not a day before or after, just because it's the way it "should be." And I love her for talking about things like "tilted light."

And she's especially cute when she says "Fatty Lumpkin."

4 comments:

  1. you need to get your mom's (actually, Sandy Dalton's) homemade granola bar recipe. It's a little too sweet to me, but it's delicious, as I guess you know. I'm going to play with the sugar level.

    as in, "See how yonder tilted light breaks on Fatty Lumpkin."?

    in my aged but humble opinion, you are still in the safe zone on those thank you notes. hey, it's still 2008 is the way I see it. however, chipping away at them is paramount. and the Right Thing To Do.

    sorry if my lengthy diatribe intimidated other tribe members on your first post. "you know me. don'tcha."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to come and see you! I do, I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [This is Harris]

    Whirly-Ball looks like ALOT of fun. And I had the greatest time staying with you and watching them (or most of them) Harry Potter movies. They're great:) I love the "My Wife"s you throw in there. It's so cool you're actually MARRIED!

    ReplyDelete